Thursday, August 30, 2007

American Eskimo Dogs - Cute or Smart?

We are two American Eskimo Dogs from the same litter, but there are definite differences between us. Although most people unfamiliar with Eskies can't tell us apart, Mom and Dad have no problem at all.

When someone asks Mom how she tells us apart, she smiles, and says "only a mother knows." When they ask Dad, he grins and says "Kenai is the cute one and Chako is the smart one." Kenai isn't sure he likes the "cute" label, but Chako is happy with being "smart."

Mom says she discovered that there seem to be two fairly distinct builds when she was looking through an American Eskimo Dogs wall calendar several years ago. For some pictures she would say "oh, look there's a Kenai," and others "that dog looks just like Chako." Dad didn't believe her at first, but when he started really looking he agreed. So, what's the difference? We'll each describe ourselves, so that it stays fair.

This is Kenai (the cute one, woof!) I am a very compact, fine boned and fine featured dog. I have a beautiful snowy white coat with only a couple of small patches of light biscuit coloring. My thick double coat has a short, dense undercoat, with longer guard hair growing through it forming the outer coat, which is straight with no curl or wave. I have the typical thicker and longer lion like ruff around the neck and chest. That sounds very manly to me rather than cute! My coat is so thick that it's hard to see my ears sometimes. I have very dark brown eyes, black eye rims with snowy white lashes, and a black nose. I think I look very handsome.

OK, now it's my turn. This is Chako (the smart one, yeah!) I am bigger than Kenai in every way. My bones are bigger, my muzzle is longer, and my ears are much bigger. My coat is quite different as well. I have more of the biscuit coloring, my undercoat is not as dense so my coat actually looks longer than it is. The guard hair has quite a wave, which I rather like. I also have the typical male ruff around the neck and shoulders, which makes me look like a lion. My eyes are very dark brown, with black eye rims and snowy white lashes. My nose is dark, but pinkish. Hint - that's a good way to tell us apart. Another is my bigger ears.

I really do think I'm smarter than Kenai. I learn things much faster than he does, if he learns it at all. For example, I quickly learned how to open the bathroom door (if it isn't latched) from the inside by getting my paw on the door edge and pulling it toward me. Kenai still can't do that, he waits for me to open the door.

Kenai: Yeah, but I sound more ferocious when we're guarding the car.

Chako: Big deal, I sound the alarm at the house when anyone comes near.

Kenai: But I'm the one who goes to get Mom when it really looks like a problem, instead of a false alarm.

Mom: All-right boys, that's enough squabbling. Sheesh, this sibling rivalry... Why don't you tell them more about the calendars.

Oh, yeah, right. After Mom got that calendar of American Eskimo Dogs the first year after we arrived, she hunted for one in the bookstores every year. She likes to take one to the office, so that she can see dogs like us every day. Dad has started doing it too. Some years it's hard to find a particular calendar, because the store often sells out. On year she couldn't get one at all. Now Mom has found a place on the internet where you can buy not only Eskie calendars (they're the best ones, of course!) but hundreds of other kinds as well. Would you believe they even have calendars with cats on them? GROWL! What a waste. Anyway, it's very easy to order them. Just click on the pretty picture. They automagically get delivered by the postman. Hmmm, maybe the postman is good for something after all. We'll have to be nicer to him.











American Eskimo Dogs 2008 Wall Calendar

Next time we're going to post some pictures of us so that you can see if you can tell us apart. Mom says we'll have to take some special photos and it's too late tonight.

Woof! Woof! from The Eskie Twins (Kenai and Chako.)

P.S. Don't forget to take a look at the beautiful calendars, especially the one with the American Eskimo Dogs on it.

8 comments:

soroptimary said...

Fun reading!
Soroptimary

Casper and pals said...

Hi Eskie Twins, I'm an eskie too and so is my sissy Nikki. We belong to Dogs with Blogs which is a worldwide group of blogging dogs. There are over 600 of us now. Come and visit my blog and come and join Dogs with Blogs. See you there!
http://www.dogswithblogs.com.au/

Opy - the Original GruffPuppy said...

hey buddies,

Welcome to www.dogswithblogs.com.au - it is great to meet you and I am sure you will make lots of new friends here :-)

Love
Opy

Mike said...

Hello! Eskimo dogs look nice. I don't see many of them though.

Dogs Love Pictures said...

This is a great resource for information about American Eskimo Dogs and you have put the site together very well with the interestingness of being written by the dogs. I can't wait to see more pictures, and I would love for you to add some of their pictures to Dogs Love Pictures Photo Gallery, Its FREE! Talk to you later.

H.A. Turbofire, Sibertarian said...

Wooo! I'm stopping by to see what's new.

CaladoHelena said...

I love this dogs !

A breed I would love to have if it I didn't had a full house.

Very nice and congratulations for the stories.

natalieanddogs said...

Cute or Smart? I'd say both. American eskimo dog's look is really attractive. And their traits are remarkable.